info@abadiareservado.com
Roofing films

Architectural sceneThis building marked a step forward in steel-and-glass construction. It is three-storeyed, the steel frame supports the floors, and the walls have become glass screens, the non-structural character of which is emphasized by the absence of vertical supports at the corners. At the famous Dcutschcr Wcrkbund Exhibition at Cologne in 1914, G. and Meyer designed the Administrative Office Building which proved to be a very notable contribution to modern architecture. The circular glass towers enclosing the staircases represent the first use of an architectural motif that was to become an important feature in many modern buildings, especially department stores. It was often used by Erich Mendelsohn to tine effect. From 1914 to 1918 came a break while G. served in the Germany Army. In 1915 he was appointed by the Grand Duke of Saxe-Weimar to succeed Henry van de Velde as Director of the GroBherzoglich-Sachsische Kunstgewerbe-schule and of the GroBherzoglich-Sachsische Hochschule fiir Bildende Kunst at Weimar, and in 1919 he combined the two schools under the name of Das Staatliche Bauhaus Weimar (Bauhaus), an expression of his own belief in the unity of design and craft, of art and technics. He was Director first at Weimar from 1919 to 1925 and then at Dessau from 1925 to 1928, in which year he resigned 111 order to devote his energies more wholeheartedly to architecture untrammelled by official duties. While Director of the Bauhaus, G. designed the school’s buildings at Dessau, completed in 1926. The complex consists of a classroom building, a workshop building, a students’ hostel, a building with community facilities and a covered bridge between the first two buildings, which, besides administrative rooms and clubrooms, contained a private atelier for G. himself.

In the workshops’ wing reinforced-concrete floor-slabs and supporting mushroom posts were employed, with the supports set well back to allow a large uninterrupted glass screen on the facade extending for three storeys. This was probably the first time so ambitious a use of the glass screen was adopted in an industrial building, and it paved the way tor similar constructions throughout Europe and America.

Related Posts:

Comments are closed.