info@abadiareservado.com
Roofing films

Industrial designerThe general layout consists of long five-storey blocks, orientated north-south so as to receive the maximum sunlight, widely spaced with stretches of grass and tall trees with light delicate foliage between. The blocks have pale plain walls with large windows, and they arc planned with two flats per landing. These Siemensstadt flats exerted a wide influence and have been much imitated. With the accession to power of the National Socialists in 1933, conditions became difficult for liberal and modern-minded architects, so in 1934 G. left Germany tor England.

He settled in London and entered into partnership with E. Maxwell Fry, one of the most successful of the younger British architects. Together they designed film laboratories tor London Film Productions at Denham (1936); two houses, one in Sussex (1936) and one in Old Church Street, Chelsea (1935); and Impington Village College, Cambridgeshire (1936), one of four village colleges erected by the County Council. This was G.’s most important contribution to architecture in England.

It is a one-storey building with single-depth classrooms, fan-shaped hall, and club amenities, sited amongst lawns and trees to serve the dual purpose of a secondary school and community centre for adults. Early in 1937, G. accepted an invitation to become a professor at Harvard University and left tor the United States; the following year, he became Chairman of the Department of Architecture at Harvard. One year later, he built his own house in Lincoln, Mass., which has much of the classic restraint of the houses that he had designed for himself and the Bauhaus leaders in 1926. This was followed by a large number ot private residences built in collaboration with other architects in America. In the year of his arrival he entered into a partnership with Marcel Breuer, a former student and master at the Bauhaus.

In the years of their partnership, in addition to several houses, including one tor Breuer himself, they designed the Pennsylvania Pavilion at Ncw York World’s Fair in 1939, and an interesting housing scheme at Ncw Kensington near Pittsburgh for workers in an aluminium factory (1941); the buildings were irregularly sited, following the contours of the hills, and reached by winding paths. The partnership with Breuer ended in 1941.

Related Posts:

Comments are closed.